Thursday, January 23, 2014

Ahhh, Shakespeare, You Cease to Amaze Me

"My Mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun" 

         In a society so saturated with flaky ideals of what "true" beauty is, it is quite refreshing to read William Shakespeare's sonnet "My Mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun". While I am not much a fan of Shakespeare I cannot help, but to appreciate this poem for all that it says. We are so inclined to romanticize the object of our love whether that be a person or even object; though, Shakespeare throws reality in our faces by pointing out that his mistress is nothing like the romanticized creature we so often create in our minds. Quite humorously he remarks, "I have seen roses damasked, red and white, / But no such roses see I in her cheeks; / And in some perfumes is there more delight / Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.". We must admire his honesty here. What I love most about this sonnet is that in spite of all of his Mistress' "flaws" or really her human traits he still loves her, And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare. This is more beautiful than any overly-romanticized poem that I have ever read about love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment