Thursday, January 23, 2014

Is God in Our Brain?

"The Brain- is wider than the sky"
-Emily Dickinson 

          Among all of the poems that we have read in this class, I think this is the one that interests me the most on an intellectual level. Dickinson basically states that the brain is no different from God Himself, perhaps suggesting that God is in our brains. I am a Religious Studies major and for that reason I am constantly searching the spiritual realms for what is "true". Religion is often argued to be a human construct. I cannot argue that it is not, but I believe that in spite of this religion still has much to offer humanity. Dickinson's poem definitely adheres to the claims that religion and God even is a human construct, something made within our brains and then materialized in different ways. This idea is unique and in some respects gives the power of creation and the wold to the human. If God is something that is in our brains, something we conceive, then doesn't that make us the Divine? Perhaps it does if we choose to believe it so. Whether or not I accept this idea or not will be something I continue to research for many years. The below picture is Michelangelo's famous painting The Creation of Adam which seems to depict Dickinson's idea by placing God in what seems to be a brain... 

No comments:

Post a Comment