Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today I was a Goose. 
The heater hums and sways with the motion of my tired body. Turning into myself I lower the volume of the voices in the room. Words about Carver's "Cathedral" float above my head. An achy draft slips through a fine crack in the windowsill to caress my fingertips. In the distance I hear faint squawks from a dozen or so half-frozen geese. It seems as though they are headed in my direction. Perhaps they on their way to a warmer destination, California or Arizona maybe, who knows? As they near I rise my chair and slip through that fine crack in the windowsill unnoticed by those in the room. I join the shorter side of the bottomless triangle and chatter with my colleagues as if I'd never left. Freedom glides past my body as I fly. I don't think of anything profound or complex as I soak in the scenery beneath me. I simply breathe, flap my wings, and fly on. 



This reminds me again of Ruthie from Brewer's "20/20". Not taking things too seriously or over-contemplating the world around her, Ruthie found a way to enjoy life and even poke fun at its mundane tendencies. I couldn't help but laugh when she remarked that she had never thought she would see a Big Foot in real life, when in actuality she was just seeing a large post with two red reflectors resembling eyes. Ruthie was content and seemed to really find joy in seeing or more so creating "wonderful sights" with her imagination. Finding ways to cope with life in unique ways is a gift unlike any other and Ruthie seems to have found her own way of coping through both imagination and humor. Perhaps my way of coping is by letting my imagination soar with the geese as they fly over my head at times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment