Tuesday, January 7, 2014


“If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” 
― Paulo Coelho 

          In Elementary I had one friend, her name was Chylyn Martin. She was short with a little extra love around her waist. Chylyn was like me, an "out-cast" in our fourth grade society. Attached at the hip we did everything together and vowed to always love and respect each other forever and ever. In many ways Chy-bug (as I referred to her) saved my life as a young girl. You see, I grew up in a home plagued with drug addiction and abuse. When getting ready for school each day I would grab the cleanest garment in the heaping pile of worn clothes in my room and throw it on. I'd go to school, never understanding why I didn't have more friends. Perhaps it was my poorly matched outfit, but more likely it was my smell or the bruises that lined my arms each day; which ever it was it broke my heart. For years I was judged without having the chance to speak for my self. 
         While I was reading through Carver's "Cathedral" today I was reminded of how I was so often judged as a little girl. We assume that because a person is poor or homeless or a drunk that he or she should be and act a certain way. Society slowly dehumanizes people with stereotypes. The Narrator in "Cathedral" serves as a perfect example of the dehumanizing process that many of us tend to go through. Before meeting Robert the Narrator sees him as a "typical" blind man who wears dark glasses and prowls around creepily. When he first meets Robert the Narrator is taken back by how normal he seems to be. Robert smokes, has a long beard, and does not wear glasses at all. As the night progresses the men learn more about each other through conversation. By the end of the night the Narrator is enlightened by Robert. After the two draw a Cathedral together the Narrator sees Robert as a person for the first time. He no longer just sees him as a "blind" man, but for who he is. Too often we get caught up in what the world or society pegs as "normal" instead of seeing people for who they truly are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment