Monday, January 13, 2014

Don't be a Willy, Silly !

"I saw the things that I love in this world. The work and the food and the time to sit and smoke. And I looked at the pen and I thought, what the hell am I grabbing this for? Why am I trying to become what I don’t want to be . . . when all I want is out there, waiting for me the minute I say I know who I am." -Biff from "Death of a Salesman"

          So I have gotten quite a few "looks" from people when I state what I am going for in school, which is Religious Studies/Sociology/& Creative Writing. I chuckle every time I see the look on someone's face when I tell them and the inevitable, "That's nice, but what will you do with that?" question. I laugh because I know who I am, that doesn't doesn't imply that I know where I will be in a year or what job I will have. And that, my friends, is ok. I love what I am studying and I have faith that I will get a job that will both make me happy and provide me with a comfortable life. The above story speaks of a man, Willy, obsessed with the idea of obtaining what he believes to be the American Dream. In the midst of trying to obtain this dream he loses touch with reality and happiness. He becomes so consumed with being "well-liked" and living the American Dream through fancy appliances that he very quickly digresses until he ultimately takes his own life. Willy represents all that is wrong within our society today. People now rely on material things to declare his or her status in society, rather than relying on things of substance such as development of character or virtue. We can't take fancy cars or money to the grave with us. Don't be a Willy, that's all I'm saying people. I've made it my life's goal to never become a Willy .

No comments:

Post a Comment